The provider of leveraged and inverse ETFs plans a total of nine regular splits and reverse splits.
Direxion, the New York-based exchange-traded fund sponsor known for its leveraged and inverse strategies, will reverse- and forward-split shares on nine of its ETFs effective Tuesday, Aug. 20, an action that will include the second reverse split this year on its triple-exposure gold miner fund, NUGT.
The Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3x Shares (NYSEArca: NUGT) sticks out from the group because the latest reverse split—1-for-10—marks the second time this year the fund will have undergone a reverse split. On April 2, Direxion conducted a 1-for-5 reverse split on NUGT, with both actions related to the sharp drop in gold miner shares as the gold rally has shown signs of fizzling.
The affected funds, their respective split ratios, and estimated pricing based on share price at the market’s open on July 25 are:
- Direxion Daily Gold Miner Bull 3x Shares (NYSEArca: NUGT) will undergo a 1-for-10 reverse split, which will lift the share price from $7.22 to $72.20
- Direxion Daily S&P 500 Bear 3x Shares (NYSEArca: SPXS) will reverse split shares at 1-for-5, moving the ETF’s share price from $9.39 per share to $46.95
The following funds will undergo 1-for-4 reverse splits:
- Direxion Daily India Bull 3x Shares (NYSEArca: INDL), bringing shares from $15.33 to $61.32
- Direxion Daily Real Estate Bear 3x Shares (NYSEArca: DRV), repricing shares from $14.17 to $56.68
- Direxion Daily Semiconductor Bear 3x Shares (NYSEArca: SOXS), folding $15.07 per share into $60.28 per share
- Direxion Daily Developed Markets Bear 3x Shares (NYSEArca: DPK), compacting four shares priced at $12.10 into a price of $48.40 per share
- Direxion Daily Natural Gas Related Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: GASX) will increase from $10.61 to $42.44
Finally, two funds will undergo regular splits, each on a 2-for-1 ratio:
- The share price of the Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bear 3x Shares (NYSEArca: DUST) will be cut in half to $39.02 from $78.04
- The Direxion Daily Healthcare Bull 3x Shares (NYSEArca: CURE) will also drop by half, to $53 per share from $106 per share
Leveraged funds can be subject to more share splits as share-price movements are magnified by the double or triple exposure.
It’s important to note that share splits don’t affect the net asset value (NAV) of a fund. They just affect share prices, lifting the price in the case of reverse splits and lowering the price in the case of regular splits.
In the event that a split produces an odd number of shares, investors will have the opportunity to redeem those “odd lot” shares at the post-split NAV.