Defiance ETFs, a relative newcomer to the ETF space that is focused on disruptive technology, has filed for seven ETFs that target different areas of cutting-edge technology. The funds are all based on global indexes from BlueStar Indexes.
Five of the funds target the small-cap segments of various disruptive technologies. They include the following:
- Defiance Junior Robotics ETF (JBOT) will track an index that uses modified equal weighting and targets companies whose products and services are related mainly to robotics technologies.
- Defiance Junior Cyber Security ETF (JHAK) will track an index that uses modified equal weighting and tracks the performance of companies involved in the development and production of software and hardware technologies that protect networks, data and computer systems from incursions by unauthorized parties.
- Defiance Junior Cloud Computing and Big Data ETF (JSKY) will track an index weighted by modified market capitalization that targets companies that generate at least half of their revenue from cloud computing or big data.
- Defiance Junior Biotechnology ETF (JBIO) will track an equal-weighted index that is adjusted for liquidity and that covers biotech companies with at least $100 million in market capitalization.
- Defiance Junior Applied AI ETF (AIJR) will track an index that uses modified equal weighting and covers companies that implement artificial intelligence or machine learning in their products and services.
Of the remaining two ETFs in the filing, the Defiance 5G Next Gen Connectivity ETF (FIVG) focuses on companies that operate in the area of 5G networking and communications. Components are sorted into four different segments based on their business lines and weighted by modified market capitalization within each one. The segments are assigned fixed weights ranging from 10% to 50%.
Finally, the Defiance Encrypted Software Technologies ETF (ALTC) will track an index that targets companies developing blockchain or other cryptography-related technologies that are related to digital assets, military communications and e-commerce cybersecurity. Components are equally weighted within the index, with weights adjusted based on liquidity.
The funds' prospectus indicates the funds will list on the NYSE Arca. It does not include expense ratios.
Contact Heather Bell at [email protected]