[The following "ETF Industry Perspective" is sponsored by IndexIQ]
- The combination of global economic uncertainty and divergent central bank policy has led to an increase in global currency volatility (see Figure 1). Highlights include the Bank of Japan's unexpected announcement of a negative interest rate policy and the continued discussion surrounding China's currency valuation.
- After moving in a single upward direction for all of 2014 and the first quarter of 2015, the U.S. Dollar Index has since been increasingly volatile.
- The increase in volatility since mid-March 2015 has been accompanied by a 3.67% decline in the value of the U.S. Dollar Index, putting a drag on fully currency-hedged international equity portfolios.
- During the prior period—2014 to March 2015—international equity portfolios without a currency hedge were hurt by a strengthening U.S. dollar.
- There are steps investors can take to help manage currency volatility, such as putting portfolios in a currency-neutral position—50% hedged—eliminating the need to make a currency call.
Source: Bloomberg, as of 2/1/16. U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) is a measure of the value of the United States dollar relative to a basket of foreign currencies, often referred to as a basket of U.S. trade partner's currencies. Diversification does not ensure a profit or protect against a loss in a declining market. Past performance is no guarantee of future results, which will vary. It is not possible to invest directly in an index.
All investments are subject to risk and will fluctuate in value. Alternative investments are speculative, not suitable for all clients, and intended for experienced and sophisticated investors who are willing to bear the high economic risks of the investment.
Standard deviation is a measure of the dispersion of a set of data from its mean.
The Fund's investment strategy may result in high portfolio turnover, which, in turn, may result in increased transaction costs to the Fund and lower total returns. The Fund is susceptible to foreign securities risk – since the Fund invests in foreign markets, it will be subject to risk of loss not typically associated with domestic markets, including currency transaction risk. Diversification does not eliminate the risk of experiencing investment losses. Stock prices of mid and small capitalization companies generally are more volatile than those of larger companies and also more vulnerable than those of larger capitalization companies to adverse economic developments. The Fund is non-diversified and is susceptible to greater losses if a single portfolio investment declines than would a diversified fund. The ETF should be considered a speculative investment with a high degree of risk, does not represent a complete investment program and is not suitable for all investors. Investors cannot invest in an index.
All ETFs are subject to market risk, including possible loss of principal.
For more information about MainStay Funds®, call 800-MAINSTAY (624-6782) for a prospectus or summary prospectus. For more information about IndexIQ® Funds, call 888-934-0777 for a prospectus or summary prospectus. Investors are asked to consider the investment objectives, risks, and charges and expenses of the investment carefully before investing. The prospectus or summary prospectus contains this and other information about the investment company. Please read the prospectus or summary prospectus carefully before investing.
For more information
MainStay Investments® is a registered service mark and name under which New York Life Investment Management LLC does business. MainStay Investments, an indirect subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company, New York, NY 10010, provides investment advisory products and services. The MainStay Funds® are managed by New York Life Investment Management LLC and distributed through NYLIFE Distributors LLC. IndexIQ® is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Investment Management Holdings LLC. ALPS Distributors, Inc. (ALPS) is the principal underwriter of the ETFs and NYLIFE Distributors LLC is the distributor of the ETFs and mutual fund. NYLIFE Distributors LLC is located at 30 Hudson Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302. ALPS Distributors, Inc. is not affiliated with NYLIFE Distributors LLC.