Major stock indexes had a rough start this week as bad news surrounds Apple, but precious metals-focused ETFs shined brightly with some approaching gains of 2 percent so far, according to an article on Barron’s.
A report from the Wall St. Journal shows falling demand for the iPhone 5 may have caused Apple to cut its component orders. As a result, Apple’s stock weakened and hurt indexes with heavy exposure, like the S&P 500 Index, which fell by 0.1 percent, the article says.
That helped create the upward move for metals. Following is a list of some standout precious metals funds and their performance as of Jan. 14:
- iShares Silver Trust (NYSEArca: SLV), nearly 2.0 percent
- ETFS Silver Trust (NYSEArca: SIVR), nearly 2.0 percent
- SPDR Gold Shares (NYSEArca: GLD), 0.30 percent
- iShares Gold Trust (NYSEArca: IAU), 0.31 percent
- ETFS Gold Trust (NYSEArca: SGOL), 0.30 percent
- Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (NYSEArca: GDXJ), 0.4 percent
For the full story, head over to Barron’s.com.