FAN

First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF
--

17
*Unless otherwise stated, data provided by FactSet.

FAN Fund Description

FAN tracks an index of companies involved in the wind energy industry weighted according to float-adjusted market cap with strict limits on individual holdings.

FAN Factset Analytics Insight

FAN is the lone global renewable energy ETF that specifically targets the wind industry. FAN saves roughly 60% of its weighting for 'pure-plays' in the wind industry and allocates the remaining 40% to 'diversified sector' companies involved in the industry. The top five pure-play companies are capped at 8% weight each, with a 4% cap for the remainder. All diversified sector companies have a 2% cap. FAN doesn't look much like our broad renewable energy benchmark, which is expected, since it follows a 'wind energy' mandate. The fund overweights electric utilities, consistent with its mandate, and is also very Europe-centric. FAN's expense ratio is reasonable for the segment. While its onscreen liquidity is decent, average spreads are wider than we'd like.FAN changed its name from First Trust ISE Global Wind Energy Index Fund to First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF on 12/14/2016. The underlying index methodology changed on 6/20/17, affecting the fund’s weighting and position limits.

FAN MSCI ESG Analytics Insight

First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF has an MSCI ESG Fund Rating of AA based on a score of 7.18 out of 10. The MSCI ESG Fund Rating measures the resiliency of portfolios to long-term risks and opportunities arising from environmental, social, and governance factors. ESG Fund Ratings range from best (AAA) to worst (CCC). Highly rated funds consist of companies that tend to show strong and/or improving management of financially relevant environmental, social and governance issues. These companies may be more resilient to disruptions arising from ESG events.

The fund’s Peer Rank reflects the ranking of a fund’s MSCI ESG Fund Quality Score against the scores of other funds within the same peer group, as defined by the Thomson Reuters Lipper Global Classification. First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF ranks in the 91st percentile within its peer group and in the 92nd percentile within the global universe of all funds covered by MSCI ESG Fund Ratings.

FAN CHARTS AND PERFORMANCE

Price Chart ($)
Total Return Chart (%)
  • 1 Month
  • 3 Months
  • YTD
  • 1 Year
  • 3 Years
  • 5 Years
  • Max
  • 1 Month
  • 3 Months
  • YTD
  • 1 Year
  • 3 Years
  • 5 Years
  • Max
COMPARE
RESET
Select ETFs to compare their performance:
PERFORMANCE [as of 06/25/19] 1 MONTH 3 MONTHS YTD 1 YEAR 3 YEARS 5 YEARS 10 YEARS
FAN 5.94% 5.78% 19.90% 8.08% 8.34% 4.00% 1.95%
FAN (NAV) 5.57% 5.10% 19.00% 8.77% 8.20% 3.87% 1.70%
ISE Global Wind Energy Index -- -- -- -- -- -- 1.70%
Thomson Reuters Global Renewable Energy -- -- -- -- -- -- --
All returns over 1 year are annualized. All returns are total returns unless otherwise stated.

FAN Top 10 Countries

FAN Top 10 Sectors

FAN Top 10 Holdings [View All]

FAN Summary Data

First Trust
06/16/08
Open-Ended Fund
0.60%
$74.38M
$488.99K
0.15%

FAN Portfolio Data

$20.70B
19.85
1.83
2.32%
09/25/19
46

FAN Index Data

ISE Global Wind Energy Index
Tiered
Market Cap
Thomson Reuters Global Renewable Energy

FAN Portfolio Management

0.60%
--
--
--

FAN Tax Exposures

20.00% / 39.60%
--
Qualified dividends
No

FAN Fund Structure

Open-Ended Fund
No
Yes
100% / 0%
N/A
N/A
Low
Daily
Cboe Book Viewer
TOP OF BOOK
LAST 10 TRADES
Bats BZX Real-time Quote -
Daily Spread
Premium/Discount
Volume

FAN Factset Analytics Block Liquidity

As of 06/26/19
5
4
3
2
1

This measurement shows how easy it is to trade a $1 million USD block of FAN. FAN is rated a 3 out of 5.

FAN Tradability

37,553
$488.99K
15,319
$199.56K
0.15%
$0.02
-0.22%
0.49% / -0.72%
None
43.00%
50,000
0.31
0.15%
0.23%
--
$13.49
3

FAN Sector/Industry Breakdown


FAN
Segment Benchmark
29.08%
1.31%
22.49%
91.83%
14.10%
--
10.71%
--
6.54%
--
5.04%
--
4.05%
--
3.94%
0.71%
1.99%
--
1.86%
--

FAN TOP 10 HOLDINGS[View All]

9.42%
8.79%
8.30%
6.61%
5.49%
3.97%
3.30%
2.54%
2.31%
54.98%

FAN Countries


FAN
Segment Benchmark
16.78%
41.74%
16.40%
29.01%
14.00%
8.97%
9.42%
1.18%
9.07%
--
7.12%
9.13%
5.89%
0.35%
3.89%
0.47%
3.26%
--
2.86%
--

FAN Regions


FAN
Segment Benchmark
58.00%
54.20%
25.82%
30.19%
16.17%
15.61%

FAN Economic Development


FAN
Segment Benchmark
97.98%
96.97%
2.02%
3.03%

FAN Performance Statistics

0.63
0.52
0.55
0.42
0.82%
Thomson Reuters Global Renewable Energy

FAN MSCI ESG Ratings

AA
7.18 / 10
91.84
90.84
20.59%
46.71%
897.85

FAN BENCHMARK COMPARISON HOLDINGS

46
32
6
21.35%

FAN BENCHMARK COMPARISON SUMMARY


FAN
Segment Benchmark
46
32
$20.70B
$10.31B
19.85
50.82
1.83
2.48
2.93%
0.88%
High
High

FAN BENCHMARK COMPARISON MARKET CAP SIZE


FAN
Segment Benchmark
44.42%
41.74%
29.09%
26.33%
24.20%
28.11%
2.29%
3.82%